Friday, October 15, 2010

Love is in the Air

And it smells a lot like the State Fair! I have always looked forward to going to the state fair every year. It has been a family tradition since I was a little girl. But about 9 years ago, Darren made it all the more special when he said those three little words together that form a huge sentence that can make a girl's heart become all twitterpated. It was the night before our big day at the state fair and it was pretty late. We were sitting on the balcony at my mom and dad's house...and Darren got this look on his face, like he wanted to say something but wasn't sure how. Silence was deafening at that point. But then, he looked at me and said, very slowly so I understood exactly what he was saying, "I love you." By this point in our relationship, I knew Darren wouldn't say anything like that unless he meant it. He was not one to flower me (or anyone else for that matter) with empty, meaningless words. I thought I would cry when and if he ever told me anything like that, but the only thought I had at that moment was, "Wow," and then, "what do I say?" He must've read my mind because he then told me, "You don't have to say anything, I just wanted you to know that I love you, and I really do." Bliss. Honestly, that was just bliss. Being told that you are loved and not having to say anything in return. Loved just because he wants to love me. Loved without having to do anything except receive it. It reminded me of how my Jesus loves me, and I couldn't keep it in. Of course I loved him...I had fought the feeling for a long time, but gave up the fight when he made all the right moves, without even realizing what he was doing. What a special memory that is for me. The next day we were giddy. We went to the fair, Darren in his ball cap and me in my overalls, and ate any and everything we could get our hands on. Today, I'm even more giddy over him than I was then. He will put on his ball cap (at my request) and I will not put on my overalls (too many footlongs have done a number on those!) and we will head to the state fair today. Still twitterpated at the sight of him nine years later, and hoping and praying with all my heart that next year our little girl will be feasting on fair food right along with us. Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment